camus’ “the plague” is absurdly relevant these days… hence forth, year 2020 shall be called “the year of the plague”.
on a reflective sunday morning, looking out the window at a beautiful sunny day, i was thinking about our life as it is these days…. but first things first ! thank the god almighty, who protects those who chose him. he gave me this promise when i was staring into the abyss with no direction and i would like to share this with you all. “he that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high shall abide under the shadow of the almighty. i will say of the lord, he is my refuge and my fortress: my god; in him will i trust. surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. he shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.” psalms 91:1-4 kjv
i have been preparing since january and still got overwhelmed with all this mostly because people are idiotic and came to office sniffling & with sore throats; and yes a tiny little virus, has brought down the entire world to halt and on it’s knees. and there is rampant panic and i admit it that i am anxious because i am in the high risk category as i’m asthmatic and i don’t want to tempt fate. of course, me being scientist who worked with various pathogens before i know how to take care of myself but that’s a lab setting, and this is real world. i am taking precautions when i go out and as our company encouraged it, i am working from home.
we may be heading for the complete lock down and staying home for months, may be a year if we are lucky, but i’m thinking probably 18 months and being home doesn’t phase me at all on account i’m a born antisocial and so i’m in weirdly privileged position of not being heavily affected by all this social distancing in terms of mental health as i would rather stay home than converse with idiotic people.
how am i spending my days you ask ? i’m chilling with my wee units / i’m reading books / working while listening to classical music / exercising / making art / playing games / learning new things / investing money & buying stock (perfect time as we are in bear market) / researching stocks / buying objet d’art / buying books / organizing my house & cleaning / i spend more time for morning family worship with my wee units and the boy (when he is around) / cooking meals / debating (and fighting) with my scientist colleagues on facebook about everything and honestly i am happy because this gives me so much of intellectual stimulation. on the whole i should say i’m more productive than before.
and also tom brady left patriots & oh well, life goes on… while i’m really pissed but i see the hand of his wife behind this or he just may realized that he is getting old. who knows.
for those who need social interaction to have a good mental health, here’s a little list and you may add to it
- clean. being in a clean house will make this so much nicer. if you’re stuck in your house all day, being in a clean home will help. plus, it’s a good exercise (i’m motivating myself).
- if you have a garden, plant some stuff for spring, tidy it up, feed the birds, whatever.
- if you have a netflix watch list, go through it.
- if you’re sick, change your bed. i’ve been cleaning my sheets every other day. it’s nice to have fresh sheets.
- watch documentaries
- change out of your pyjamas, even if it’s just into a hoodie and some sweats. you’ll feel better.
- be creative… paint, collage, sketch. try and improve your skills. get creative!
- call your family and friends! facetime or phone.
- rearrange your furniture, create a new ambiance.
- have a clear out of clothes you don’t wear anymore
- read !! read books you haven’t read yet or reread your favourite books. get lost in a different world.
- teach yourself something. i like to study stuff in my own time. botany, human evolution, space, anything. learning stuff is fun when you’re not getting graded on it.
- fuck it, learn a new language. i’ve been polishing my french, hindi, spanish language skills while learning german & am snoozing my way to the top.
- bake, cook, make something. create new recipes.
- if you’re sick, open the windows. its recommended for covid anyway but its nicer to be in bed with the window open.
- watch nature outside your house. for like half an hour today i watched birds. i counted about 37 this morning.
- journal how you feel or vent to someone. its frustrating being stuck inside
- make a bucket list